March 5, 2008 - July 8, 2020

Jazmin was having pain for about 2 and a half weeks in her right leg and knee, but I didn’t think it was anything serious. On, Monday January 21, 2019, she was in a lot of pain. Her right leg and knee were swollen and didn’t look like the other. I took her to the doctor the next day and we ended up at Children’s Hospital Colorado North for an X-ray. They called and said Jazmin had a mass that was eating away at her bone. Two days later, we went for an MRI and another X-ray and then met with the Orthopedic doctor. The outcome definitely wasn’t what we wanted to hear.

On Friday, we were back at Children’s for a CT scan and biopsy. Unfortunately, the results were exactly what the doctor told us in the first place. Jazmin was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in her right femur. This news was devastating to our family. It is a parent’s worst nightmare to hear your child has cancer.

The following week, Jazmin had a PET scan, met with the oncologist, and she started her first chemo treatment.

Jazmin’s chemo treatments were grueling. She received 3 different treatments back-to-back. She would be in the hospital for 2 days, then had a day or two at home before returning for another round, and the same thing again. After completing the third round, Jazmin received a Neulasta shot the day after to help build her immune system back up.

About three months later, Jazmin went in for scans before surgery. The CT scan and X-ray/MRI were good, but the PET scan showed that the tumor had grown. It extended across the growth plate, but was contained and just a little bigger than what her doctors had hoped for. They felt that the treatment was working, so Jazmin would continue chemotherapy for several months after surgery.

Jazmin underwent an 8+ hour surgery on May 6, 2019. She had two blood transfusions and was in the ICU for 24 hours. The surgery went well and the whole tumor was successfully removed from her femur.

Jazmin was at a high risk for relapse, so she was being watched closely with scans every 2-3 months. Her tumor was also sent to a laboratory to be analyzed. Jazmin continued with chemotherapy, completing 24 treatments in 7 months.

In September, the results of her scans were devastating. The cancer had spread from her leg into her right lung and a lymph node in her pelvis.

Jazmin started two new chemotherapy treatments lasting 5 hours for 5 days in a row, then two weeks at home. Scans in November showed the chemo was working, so the plan was to do two more cycles of treatment then surgery on her pelvis. But she spiked a fever and was hospitalized due to an infection in her left lung.

Jazmin had surgery on New Year’s Eve to remove the infection from her lung. Three days later, she had a seizure and had to be intubated in the PICU. Jazmin pushed through and despite several setbacks, she was able to come off the ventilator. Overall, she was in the PICU for 18 days and hospitalized for 90 days before finally returning home. This part of the process was very difficult for Jazmin – it really got her down. All she wanted was to go home.

Jazmin had another surgery in February 2020, this time to address the still-growing lymph nodes in her pelvis. She was able to return home and celebrate her and her twin brother’s 12th birthday with the family.

In April, scans gave us the worst news: Jazmin’s cancer had spread everywhere and there was no cure. We were told she had 2 months to live.

Jaz wasn’t ready to give up and wanted other options. She started an experimental medication as part of a clinical trial, but they weren’t doing what was needed.

In June, a secretion of cancer cells caused fluid to accumulate around her stomach, so she had a drain placed to remove the fluids, which was done twice a day at home. Jazmin no longer qualified for a new clinical trial because of the drain and her low counts.

Jazmin started going downhill at the beginning of July. One morning, I knew she wasn’t doing well. She was extremely weak, throwing up, barely drinking, and not eating. She lost her vision and was confused, but she held on a few more days.

Sadly our Princess passed July 8th at 9:48pm with her daddy and I by her side letting her know it was all ok.

Throughout her battle, Jazmin always had a smile. No matter how bad it was or how bad she felt, she would always find something positive out of every situation. She was genuine and she had a heart of gold, always caring about others before herself.

👑 Princess Jazmin 👑

She fought a good fight

She didn’t lose the battle

She fought till the end

With the very last breath

Like the Warrior Princess that she is…